Thursday, December 27, 2012

How Chris saved Christmas


JP Hand Straight sample
I'm a traditionalist, and when it comes to holidays, I'm a RIGID traditionalist. This year, the holidays conspired against me. My mom, who is the keystone to Christmas had to work every single day last week and thus, only half of her decorations made it up. "Christmas Swing" our favorite holiday c.d. was not played ONCE this year, Santa left treats in "Beatles" bags instead of stockings (that part actually wasn't so bad) and the fire was never lit. I pretty much went haywire when my fam started unwrapping presents at THE SAME TIME (big no no in our house), and my dad TOOK OUT the christmas music to put in his Led Zepplin music dvd. 
(sigh).
My mom tried really hard, despite how exhausted she was from working so much to make things like they are every year- she set a beautiful table, and hung some bulbs over the doorways last minute-but you could just feel it- Christmas this year was a little unruly, a little chaotic, and UN-traditional to say the least. We even watched "Saturday night fever" on TV mid-day- WHO DOES THAT???

Chris got me a Bonsai Tree for Christmas even though we weren't getting each other presents this year (Which is amazing considering I have wanted one for so long but haven't even brought it up in forever). After all the RUDE comments about how the tree was never going to survive because of my "negative energy" and "The tree can sense your stress" and "You're talking way too loud for the tree's comfort" etc.(you know who you are)were over, I was inspired by this little baby Bonsai, and went the "Eastern" route and let the family enjoy the rest of their unorthodox holiday-
Without trying to control them.

He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.
-Tao Tzu



Madi Made each family one of these signs. She hand carved the stamps, built and stained the frame and is the best sista EVA.

Above: Christmas Rebels.
Below:(Also a Christmas rebel) The Led Zeppelin music dvd .



Emergency Essential backpacks- in case of natural disasters or earthquakes (naturally).

Above:  Amelia Bedilia and her toys from Santa
Below: finger puppets from Peru that my mom has saved for years.



 Madi looking Badass.


Yours Truly.
 And then the rest of the day was amazing, and we went to a movie that wasn't Christmasy at all, and ate very un-christmasy things like leftover pasta. 


Clearly we know what my New Years Resolution should be. Hopefully my baby Bonsai will remind me every time I walk by it.

When I let go of what I am, I become what
I might be.  When I let go of what I have, I receive what I need.
-Tao Tzu





3 comments:

  1. Love it!! Merry Christmas and the Best of the New Year to you all~
    Auntie Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read what you wrote about my blog sounding like the way I talk and I totally think the EXACT same thing about you! And I'm glad you said that, because that is really my goal- to be myself! I swear I am always asking people, does this sound like me?? I love this post so much and really relate to feeling like you want things to go a certain way and when they don't you want to stand in a corner and stamp your feet! haha. Good thing now that we have started our own families we will have more control... ok probably not haha! Love you to death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beautiful women in your family are stunning and its obviously being passed down to Amelia. Im so glad your Christmas was great even though it wasn't your "traditional". I always love trying new things, going to new places, and having new traditions and experiences but {a big huge BUT} when we do something really fun or great or traditional it is really hard to venture out and remember how great it can be to add something different.

    ReplyDelete